U.S. Congressman Paul Ryan Serving Wisconsin's 1st District

U.S. Congressman Paul Ryan Serving Wisconsin's 1st District

U.S. House of Representatives

Frequently Asked Questions: Veterans

Home » caseworkfaqsFrequently Asked Questions: Veterans
How can I get a copy of my military records?

Copies of military personnel and service medical records that are on file at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), including Reports of Separation (DD Form 214 or equivalent), can be made available upon request to veterans and the next-of-kin of deceased veterans. Next-of-kin is defined as the father or mother, son or daughter, brother or sister, and the unremarried widow or widower of the deceased veteran.

On July 12, 1973, a disastrous fire at NPRC destroyed approximately 16-18 million Official Military Personnel Files.  Click here for more information on the affected record collections.

In November 2007, the NPRC opened to the public the military personnel records of individuals separated from the military prior to 1946.  Each year, additional military personnel records will be made available to the public for individuals who have been discharged, deceased or retired for at least 62 years.

For information on how to request military records, please visit the NPRC's military records request page, or contact the NPRC at:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, Missouri 63138
Phone: 314-801-0800

Washington, DC Office
  • 1233 Longworth House Office Bldg
  • Washington, DC 20515
  • Phone: (202) 225-3031
  • Fax: (202) 225-3393
Janesville Office
20 South Main Street
Phone: (608) 752-4050
Suite 10
Fax: (608) 752-4711
Janesville, WI 53545
Toll Free: (888) 909-RYAN (7926)
Kenosha Office
5031 7th Avenue
Phone: (262) 654-1901
Kenosha, WI 53140
Fax: (262) 654-2156
Racine Office
216 6th Street
Phone: (262) 637-0510
Racine, WI 53403
Fax: (262) 637-5689
Mobile Office Hours
Click for Schedule
Rock Walworth Waukesha Milwaukee Racine Kenosha