Home > caseworkfaqs > Frequently Asked Questions: General Financial and Emergency Assistance Resources

Frequently Asked Questions: General Financial and Emergency Assistance Resources

What if I need assistance with food, housing, or utility costs?

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides information for homeowners and rental assistance. 

HUD Rental Assistance provides resources to assist you in locating HUD rental housing and programs. You may visit the HUD in Wisconsin website to search for available housing in your area

Or, you can contact the HUD Wisconsin Field office using the information listed below:

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Henry Reuss Federal Plaza
310 West Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53203-2289 

  • Phone: (414) 297-3214

HUD also provides a list of approved housing counseling agencies for Wisconsin.

You may also want to visit the websites below for additional housing information and assistance programs:

  • Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority (WHEDA) Rental Assistance Information: WHEDA is an independent authority that works with lenders, developers, local governments, community groups, and other organizations to provide low-cost, fixed rate mortgages to low- and moderate-income individuals and families who are purchasing their first home.

  • The Wisconsin Department of Administration's Division of Housing offers a Household Housing Guide, which provides information on identifying public sources of housing for low to moderate income households in Wisconsin, including programs for home purchases, owner-occupied rehabilitation and improvements, lead paint hazard reduction, residential rental services, as well as other programs.

  • The United States Department of Agriculture's Rural Development Multi-Family Housing Rentals website can be searched for available rental properties based on the county in which they are located.

For assistance with utility costs, you may wish to contact the Wisconsin Division of Energy’s Energy Assistance Bureau using the information listed below: 

Energy Assistance Bureau
Wisconsin Division of Energy 
PO Box 7868
Madison, Wisconsin 53707-7868

For more information, you can visit the Wisconsin Division of Energy's website.